Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Red Raider in San Antonio


My name is Katie Allen, and this is my first time at the Beltwide Cotton Conferences! I made it to San Antonio late last night from Lubbock, where I am a Master’s student in agricultural communications at Texas Tech University.

Although I am a west Texan currently, I call Marceline, Missouri my home. I completed my Bachelor’s in agricultural journalism at the University of Missouri last year. A fellow Mizzou grad and my friend, Tyne Morgan, currently works in public affairs for Monsanto. When she called me up last month to offer me the student blogging position at the conference, I immediately accepted! I love San Antonio and am thrilled by the opportunity to meet new people.

A little bit about my background – I am a Midwest girl at heart and grew up on a diversified farm where my family raises beef cattle, corn and soybeans. While completing my education, I have also worked as a freelance writer for several farm magazines. I have experience in newspaper writing and ag radio also. I am particularly interested in ag policy issues, and my thesis research that I am focusing on now involves country-of-origin labeling (COOL). In the past, I’ve mostly covered ag news in Missouri and the Midwest, but I’m now enjoying life in west Texas and cotton country. I'm learning so much about production agriculture in the South!

I have an interest in agriculture and all of its many aspects, and I plan to devote my career to promoting and expanding our nation’s number one economic industry. San Antonio is such a great place to visit, and I am excited to visit again! This blog will cover some of the conference events and will include a Midwesterner’s take on cotton. I hope to learn even more about cotton production and meet the U.S. cotton growers and ag leaders who are so influential in this industry!

No comments:

Post a Comment